This ice-cream cake is one of the easiest, yet impressive desserts you can make for Christmas celebrations. It’s based on a tub of store-bought ice-cream with a few delicious additions thrown in.
The layer of fruit cake is a nod to traditional Christmas, but if fruit cake isn’t your thing, you can swap it for chocolate cake, caramel mud cake, madeira cake or raspberry swiss roll cake. Yum!
Christmas ice cream cake with berries and caramelised peaches recipe
Preparation time: 20 mins plus overnight freezing time
Cooking time: 5 mins
Cooking oil spray, for greasing
4L vanilla ice cream
1 ½ cups frozen raspberries, plus extra ½ cup
¼ cup raspberry jam
200g Christmas fruit cake, finely diced
2 yellow peaches, quartered, stones removed
¼ cup caster sugar
250g punnet strawberries
50g chocolate coated honeycomb, roughly chopped
Thick caramel sauce or caramel topping, to serve
1. Grease a 20cm round spring-form cake tin with cooking oil and line the base and sides with baking paper so paper extends 3cm above the top of the tin.
2. Spoon ice-cream into a large bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Beat with a wooden spoon until almost smooth. Add raspberries to ice-cream and gently stir them through.
3. Spoon half of the ice-cream mixture into prepared tin. Drizzle with jam, then scatter fruit cake over the top. Spoon remaining ice-cream mixture over the top. Smooth surface using the back of a spoon, then gently tap on a bench to remove any air bubbles. Freeze, uncovered for 8 hours or overnight.
4. 30 minutes before serving, make the caramelised peaches. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Push the cut sides of each peach into the sugar until well coated. Add them to the hot pan and cook for about 3 minutes, turning occasionally until the sugar on the peaches is golden and toffee like. Transfer to a plate lined with baking paper and set aside for 15 minutes to cool to room temperature.
5. Remove cake from tin and transfer to a chilled cake stand or serving plate. Top with caramelised peaches, strawberries and a scattering of honeycomb. Drizzle with caramel sauce or topping and serve immediately.